Saturday 8 December 2012

Title: 'Gaga!!!'

A dictionary defines the word 'Gaga' is as :
1. An insulting word used to describe someone who is confused.
2. Crazy, foolish. 
 I am informed by personality experts that one's name is very important. A name has symbolism, and holds a form of energy around the person whom is named. I am even told by experts in the field of he mind, that our behavior and our personality is modified according to our name. Some people are even able to determine the characteristics of an individual, their strengths, weaknesses, gifts and desires, simply by analyzing that person's name. When we consider the lengths that so many parents worldwide go to, in choosing a name for their unborn offspring, we see how important this matter is. In fact naming ceremonies are organized  for newborns especially for this purpose. I know for a fact that in certain African traditions, a baby is named not only by the parents, but also by other member's of the immediate family like grandparents, uncle's and aunties. In addition, pet names are conferred upon the person by close friends and family. My first name, when translated into English, means 'I was wise enough to give birth to success'. I love my name, and each day I strive to live up to its meaning, in all areas of my life. So where am I going with all this?
  When I think of a celebrity like Lady Gaga, of whom reports in the press have been circulating, that she has recently been showing erratic behavior, including the signs of being close to a breakdown, I can't help wondering what bearing, having a name like 'Lady Gaga', could have on such an unfortunate outcome. Clearly an artistically and musically gifted individual, Lady Gaga's entire image,  her music, her performances, her style, the way she dresses, these all convey a 'gaga' persona, as per the dictionary definition, but in addition, there includes a not at all subtle message that being and acting 'gaga' is cool.

No comments:

Post a Comment